As excited, motivated and prepared as you feel for the travel ahead, not everyone is going to be as confident with your decision. That’s okay though! Your dream may not be the same as someone else’s dream, and it doesn’t make either decision right or wrong. Just remember to not let others’ opinions and doubts guide your dreams and decide your future – believe in yourself and trust in YOU!
We tend to go through life without giving ourselves a second to stop and think. As soon as you graduate from college, you start a career where you work your way up the ladder to eventually achieve success. Though this may be the most common path, it isn’t for everyone. And when you choose the road less traveled, you should expect a lot of questions and some doubts. People are scared of what they are unfamiliar with, but you shouldn’t be. If you let anyone else’s concerns affect you negatively, you will start doubting yourself. And once you start doubting yourself, you’ll have a tough time bouncing back.
When doubt starts creeping in, grab a mirror and tell yourself …
1. If I can dream it, I can do it! Any successful person in history took a risk. They were crazy, they were dreamers, they were unrealistic. If you know in your heart that travel is what you want, and you are willing to do all that you can to achieve what most feel is impossible , than guess what? It is absolutely 100% entirely POSSIBLE! You CAN and you WILL accomplish what you’re working towards. Begin every day with a purpose and never give up. Trust me, you will feel incredibly fulfilled along the way and will end up achieving things you never dreamed of achieving.
2. The only opinion that truly matters is my own. Why let someone else dictate your future? After all, this is your life. You can make your own decisions AND your own mistakes. Take charge and do what you feel is right for you. If you remain confident and determined, you will see that although not everyone would make the same decisions, they will certainly respect the decisions you are making for yourself.
3. This is what truly makes me happy. You have every right to work towards your own happiness. It is selfishness in the best way possible. When it comes to indulging in what truly makes you happy, being a little selfish is a requirement. After all, everyone deserves the chance to smile every day, so fight for it. Fight for those feelings of fulfillment, awareness and joy as hard as you possibly can. And don’t stop until your life is everything you’ve ever dreamed of.
4. I can always come back to where I started. It’s as simple as that. Someone who is taking the chance and moving to another country or traveling the world is already an impressive individual. If you do fail, and of course there is always that chance, you can return home and pick up right where you left off. You’ll start interviewing for jobs, eventually get hired and continue focusing on the career you’ve left behind. OR you will be forever changed and start down a different path. Either way, there is absolutely nothing to lose. The time is NOW!
5. I am not alone. Millions of vagabonds, digital nomads, and wanderers are doing the same exact thing as you. When you start doubting how realistic your dream is, and feel discouraged that no one believes in you, open your browser and search travel blogs. Talk about inspiration!! The community of travel bloggers is the most supportive, encouraging and motivating group of people on this PLANET! They will help you , literally just to help you. It’s amazing how comfortable you will feel knowing you always have a support system to turn to for advice throughout your adventure, and endless resources available to ensure your success.
If you remember these 5 things and use them every time you are feeling doubtful, I guarantee they will naturally become a part of your every decision, and you’ll never again deny what your heart is telling you.
Lastly and very importantly, when you have to answer to another’s questions and concerns, just stay confident. If you continue to remain confident and determined, their doubts will soon disappear. Sure, they may not believe you’ll become a billionaire travel personality with 6 houses in 6 different countries (although we both know that is entirely possible!!). BUT they most certainly will believe in the journey you are about to take. Best part is, the more you tell your story, the more your confidence will grow. Tell strangers! Tell family members and friends! You’ll be surprised at how contagious your confidence is – to both yourself and to those around you. And when you see just how much you can truly inspire, you’ll be UNSTOPPABLE.
So try not to let the nonbelievers deter you from your path. Follow your heart, stay true to what makes you feel fulfilled, and turn those nonbelievers into your biggest fans. Prove to them and yourself just how possible the impossible really is…
“The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.”